This page will tell you how to set up your Esp8266 board which is either a standalone Arduino board or can be used with another Arduino board to provide wi-fi functionalities. It will tell you how to set up your Arduino IDE on your computer to work with an Esp8266 board, then run a simple example on the Esp8266 board.
- Download and install Arduino IDE 1.8+: http://www.arduino.cc/en/main/software
- Start Arduino and open Preferences window, add the following URL to the "Additional Board Manager URLs" field with comma delimiters: http://arduino.esp8266.com/stable/package_esp8266com_index.json
- Open Boards manager from Tools and search for ESP8266 and install the community version
- Select Tools, Board, Generic ESP8266 Module and select the right serial port
- Go to File, Examples, ESP8266, Blink. Then connect the module to the computer via USB port
- Download Python 2.7.10 binary tools from https://www.python.org/downloads/
- Restart Arduino IDE.
Now you should have the Esp8266 board set up, and now you can upload sketches to the board.